Friday, January 27, 2006



Tomorrow I'll be taking Ryan, my ten year-old, to get a haircut. He'd decided about a month ago that he wanted to let his hair grow long. His best bud Max has longish hair. Beautiful silky, glossy, to die for hair. Ryan's hair isn't like that and after a month of that in-between stage he's changed his mind about letting it grow long.

A week before Christmas my oldest son, Evan, age fifteen (sixteen on February 28) came home from his friends house with his head shaved. This was after I told him no. Okay ... it was really more like "NO!!! EVAN ... DON"T YOU DARE!!!" It took me about a week (I might have been pouting) before I realized what a handsome devil he has become. The last time he had really short hair he was in that awkward stage between boy and man. Now I see these incredible glimpses of the man he will be. Exiting. (Oops, need a kleenex...)

If I might paraphrase the famous words from 'Little Bunny Foo Foo' ... "hair today, tomorrow." Better yet, HERE today, gone tomorrow.

I guess it's all about trying to figure out what's right for you. No one else can figure it out for you. It's nice to have guidance. It's good to have opinions from others you love and trust, even if they don't agree with you. But in the end, each of us have to find our own path. Even if venturing out on our own is a little scary.